Financial Aid

Veterans Services

We are dedicated to providing outstanding service to veterans and service members and their eligible dependents as they are achieving their academic goals. UNK’s Veterans Services assists veterans and military students with the GI Bill process, and acts as a liaison between the student and the Veterans Administration. Veterans Services also coordinates with other offices on campus that provide services to military and veteran students.

Once you have been admitted to the University of Nebraska at Kearney, contact us to receive the educational benefits to which you are entitled. We recommend you request a copy of your military transcripts and transcripts from all other educational institutions where you have enrolled to insure you receive proper credit for prior academic work.

How to Request your Military Transcript

Air Force: Access the Community College of the Air Force website:
On the right, click on CCAF Transcripts. Select on “Order Transcripts Online” and then “Online Transcript System”

Army, Coast Guard, Navy & Marine Corps: Access the JST website:
Register for an account and you will be issued a user name and password.  To request your official transcript which will be required by the Registrar’s Office at UNK, complete the Request Form at

Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 – The Post 9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing for training pursued on or after August 1, 2009.
Eligibility: At a minimum, you must have served at least 30 days of continuous active duty service after September 10, 2001 and be discharged due to a service-connected disability, or served an aggregate of at least 90 days on active duty after September 11, 2001 or currently be serving on active duty or were –
*Honorable discharged from the active duty; or
*Placed on the retired list of temporary disability retired list; or
*Transferred to the Fleet Reserve of the Fleet Marine Corps Reserve; or
*Release from the active duty for further service in a reserve component of the Armed Forces.
UNK also participates in the Yellow Ribbon provision of the Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefit. This benefit is open to both graduate and undergraduate students who qualify. Please contact our office for more information about this benefit.

Chapter 1606 - Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve– The Montgomery Bill Chapter 1606 benefits are available to reservists who enlist, reenlist, or extend an enlistment in the Selected Reserve for not less than six years on or after July 1, 1985. For officers, the six-year period is in addition to any other obligated period of service. Eligibility for the program requires that the reservist have obtained a high school diploma or equivalent, complete basic and branch specific skill training, and remain in good standing while serving in an active Selected Reserve unit.

Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty Program– The Montgomery Bill Chapter 30 assists individuals who entered active duty after July 1, 1985, and have their basic military pay reduced by $100 a month for 12 months. The veteran must have been released from duty with an “honorable” discharge and served at least 2 year of continuous active duty to be eligible for Chapter 30 benefits.

Chapter 1607 - Reserve Educational Assistance Program – Montgomery G.I. Bill chapter 1607 provides up to 36 months of education assistance to members of the Selected Reserves, Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) and the National Guard, who are called or ordered to active duty for 90 days or more in response to a war or national emergency.

Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation– Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment provides educational assistance to veterans with a declared service-connected disability. Vocational Rehabilitation services enables those with disabilities to transition from military service to a successful rehabilitation and on to suitable employment and/or independent living.

Chapter 35 - Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance– Survivors and Dependents Benefits provide educational benefits to spouses and children of veterans who either died while in service, died as a result of a service-related disability, or became totally and permanently disabled as a result of their military service.

How to Apply for Benefits:

1. After you are admitted to the University of Nebraska at Kearney, contact Veterans Services by phone at (308) 865-8649 or via email at to schedule an appointment. We can work with you by phone or in person.

2. Complete the application for benefits on the VONAPP website: If you need assistance with completing this application we will be happy to assist. Please note, you can arrange direct deposit on this application so your benefits will be deposited directly into your bank account. You will need your bank account number and the bank's routing number in order to set up this option.

3. Collect these important documents and be prepared to bring them to our office:

* Certificate of Eligibility – You will receive this after completing the application for benefits from the Veterans Administration.
* DD214 Member -4 copy
* If you are applying for Chapter 1606 benefits in addition to the certificate of eligibility and the DD214, please also provide your DD2384-1, Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE). This will come from your unit. Also it is helpful for us to have a copy of your Kicker contract if applicable.

Nebraska National Guard members who utilize state tuition assistance will agree to serve for three years after the completion of the course for which assistance was received. Please review the information provided on this web site regarding state tuition assistance:
Important: submission dates for State Tuition Assistance are:

If your academic term begins July 1 to September 30 – June 5
If your academic term begins between October 1 and December 31 – September 5
If your academic term begins between January 1 and March 31 – December 5
If your academic term begins between April 1 and June 30 – March 5

All members who are approved for tuition assistance will provide the Military Department’s Tuition Assistance Office with an accurate list of classes within 10 working days following the start of each semester.

Federal Tuition Assistance

Army: Soldiers must request Federal TA through Requests must be made prior to the course start date.

Air Force: The on-line application can be done through the Air Force portal at

Reservist Tuition Credit Program:

The University of Nebraska participates in a tuition credit program that will provide a credit for 50% of the tuition charges for enlisted members of Nebraska-based units of the Active Reserve of the armed forces. Click this link to read about eligibility for this program and to find the application:

Chapter 30 & Chapter 1606 Verification

If you are a Chapter 30 or 1606 recipient, you must verify your enrollment each month. This can be accomplished in one of two ways and is done on the last day of each month while you are in school:

Connect to the VA's website at Enter your first and last name in the appropriate blocks, your Social Security Number (minus the dashes) and your password. The first time you use the WAVE use the last 6 digits of your SSN. Once you enter into the WAVE it will prompt you for a new password.

Click on the link Verify Monthly Enrollment Status. Check to see your registration status:

For Undergraduate Students:
Full time enrollment is 12 hours or more
3/4 time enrollment is 11 to 9 hours
1/2 time enrollment is 8 to 6 hours
Less than half time enrollment is 5 or fewer hours

For Graduate Students:
Full time enrollment is 9 hours or more
3/4 time enrollment is 8 to 6 hours
1/2 time enrollment is 5 to 4 hours

Note 1: The UNK Veterans Services will not change your hours if you still fall within a certain enrollment level. (For example: if you are 3/4 time at 10 hours and drop a 1 hour class we will not change your status as you are still ¾ time.)

Note 2: If the WAVE has you listed at full time enrollment and you are really ¾ enrollment, DO NOT MAKE CHANGES-DO NOT VERIFY. Contact the UNK Veterans Services Office. If you make changes on the WAVE they will stop your payments.

The WAVE offers many options for changing information such as password, email address, and direct deposit information. If you use the email option be sure you keep your email address up to date.

Phone Option:
The second way to verify is by telephone. If your enrollment has not changed during the month call 1-877-823-2378 on a touch-tone phone.

Contact Information

Certifying Official: Mary Sommers
Phone: (308) 865-8520
Fax: (308) 865-8096

Mailing Address:
University of Nebraska at Kearney
Office of Financial Aid - Veterans Services
905 West 25th Street
Kearney, NE 68849-2350